View Single Post
Old 2010-05-28, 22:25   Link #41
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
I think clothing should be respectable -- though it can be used as expressive or intended purposes -- I mostly find short skirts rather pointless.

I also think people should, regardless of age -- be respectful to themselves.
So you find short skirts pointless - that's fine. However, if someone told me I was dressing like a whore and that I wasn't being respectful towards myself because of my choice of clothing, I'd raise an eyeborw at them at best. If I like short skirts, that's my business and no one else's. I don't think it's "whorish", and neither do I understand why someone would think that. I'm not asking anyone to come over and exchange money for sex. Even if I was, that would be my choice, and I think I can decide for myself what I find humiliating and what I deem empowering.

Quote:
It's rather nitpicky really. What constitutes as whorish is really up to the individual. For me it's a combination of excessive make-up, gaudy and revealing clothing... and the immodest attitude. Now it is perspective so do bear with me; but don't feel obligated to - that constitutes as whorish because it is usually the encompassed stereotypes of whores and prostitutes.
Why should stereotypes decide what I can wear and what not?

Quote:
Feel entirely free to oppose what I think.
Ah, as you wish!

Quote:
I simply feel on this kind of thing several things are responsible. The media, the culture, the parents. So on and the such.
At the same time, our society is telling women that if they wear certain things or behave in a certain way, it's their own fault if someone takes that as an invitation. And that, in my opinion, is much more appalling.