Old 2008-08-13, 00:56   Link #1845
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
The king of fruits:
"It is common local belief that the durian is harmful when eaten with coffee or alcoholic beverages. The latter belief can be traced back at least to the 18th century when Rumphius stated that one should not drink alcohol after eating durians as it will cause indigestion and bad breath. In 1929, J. D. Gimlette wrote in his Malay Poisons and Charm Cures that the durian fruit must not be eaten with brandy. In 1981, J. R. Croft wrote in his Bombacaceae: In Handbooks of the Flora of Papua New Guinea that a feeling of morbidity often follows the consumption of alcohol too soon after eating durian. Several medical investigations on the validity of this belief have been conducted with varying conclusions."

And then, there's the old wives' tale that consuming durian with brandy or whisky will make your intestines explode, because the alcohol will ferment the fruit, causing it expand rapidly inside your gut.

I wouldn't know. I'm not especially fond of durians, although I do enjoy it occasionally. I certainly haven't tried eating them with alcohol. You usually wouldn't want to anyway, because you get rather thirsty, and whisky isn't going to make parched throats go away.
These are those really (stinky) stench drenched fruits aren't they?

I've never eaten one of these before...

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote