View Single Post
Old 2013-01-20, 04:20   Link #45
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
Eh. I don't care about them. Being closed-minded or obnoxious is a personal choice like many other things, but if they choose to flaunt that ignorance in front of others like it's something to be proud of, they shouldn't complain if people start judging them negatively. It's a trade-off in the end. It's their freedom to express themselves in the same way that it's everyone else's freedom to laugh and make fun of them. Everyone deserves their slice of pie.

My only concern is how the term may evolve to the point that the stereotype spills over to encompass people who legitimately are interested in the finer aspects of Japanese culture. This isn't at all fair to those people.
I know, I have unfortunately experienced this. It's very unfair, the concerned person decided to ignore how I bleed my country's colors and love it to death, and says I want to be Japanese just because I study the language. But no one liked him anyway, he was a mean guy...

Stuff like this is what keeps people in my country from studying other languages. Too many just sit on their butt and expect everyone else to work their butts off learning English.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote