View Single Post
Old 2011-03-09, 23:12   Link #18
naikou
Slashy Slashy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura
I don't understand why people keep criticizing Ryukishi for this. Despite what Schrodinger's Cat was originally, it's really common nowadays to set it up in different interpretations to see what their response is and evaluate their strengths and weaknesses.
I responded to this earlier, so I'll try to piece together what I wrote from memory.

The problem is that I don't understand why he would choose to use a metaphor from quantum mechanics in the first place. Is he using "multiple worlds theory" as a metaphor? If so, why mention the cat box, but not multiple worlds theory? Or is he simply borrowing a metaphor from quantum mechanics, and applying it to Umineko? In that case, why not just use a similar but different metaphor, to avoid the confusing quantum mechanics connotations? (oh wait he did - Braun tubes... and then he brought the cat box in, why exactly?)

Though, I'm no expert in quantum mechanics, so maybe it's just me who's confused. I got the point in the end. I just think it could have been explained more effectively. A flawed, but not fatally flawed metaphor.