View Single Post
Old 2012-09-06, 18:53   Link #51
Maerskian

Unfortunately, not too much time to keep watching anime at an steady pace lately .... that's life at this point of the year, need to buy new stuff, new projects, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
Heh. I remember slightly enjoying season one, being a bit disappointed at the start of season two, and then recovering. I saw no big difference between the two seasons, even though there was a slight style difference (but I can't remember now what that was).

Mitsudomoe, for me, was one of those shows that are fun while watching but leave little impression behind, except for the characters who I still remember pretty well.
Just two episodes left to finish season one and, funny enough, i feel lucky that i already seen seson 2:

Season 1 is filled with way too many repetitive gags, that tend to be a little tiring after a couple of times.

Season 2 condensed the essence of the whole series in just 8 episodes, so when i started season 1 it was like more of the same again & again... a real pity, since the three sisters had potential for a radical-gag series.... although this shows walks around sex-related misunderstandings & some type of ethical wall they don't want to cross ... too bad IMHO, since this show would be another story if they just added some typical weird japanese gags here & there more often, not to mention let aside all those ethical problems.... all in all, it was entertaining to watch.

Quote:
Well, to me Eden of the East is another of those shows that are fun while watching but leave little impression. I can't really remember much about the show, but if you're dropping it because you're expecting a thinly disguised romance, you're dropping it for the wrong reason. It's, first and foremost, a mystery show (of the "conspiracy" type). There are two films that conclude the story line; I never watched those, though I might have, had I found them immediately after finishing the show.

It's popcorn suspense - does a good job of keeping you guessing.
hmmmm ... not to sure about it. It's just 11 ep long, and while it's true the male character guidelines are focused on some type of spy/conspiracy plot type from the beginning.... it's undeniable that the female one seems like she fell off any romance anime series.... all the japanese romance stereotypes are there....

Bad news is that only these 2 will get most of the airtime so this encouraged me to drop it. Did a quick-play for the rest of the series... and honestly, looks the same from start to finish.

Not my cup of tea for entertaining anyways...

Quote:
Hm, I'd say that it's one of the shows that doesn't change much, so if you're underwhelmed by the first episode, it's likely you won't like the others much, either. It's funny how you can be underwhelmed or overwhelmed, but you can't be just whelmed. It appears there's no such thing as whelming.
Well, after that intro filled with other animes parodies, surely i raised my hopes too high.... anyways, it has some oldie-looking designs i liked quite a lot so i already reached episode 4 and.... oh well, here it goes again: what could be an entertaining comedy/slice of life .... looks about to be ruined by the eternal romance-factor again.... they're already around there, and my bet is that it'll be the center of the plot from now on

Also finished with:

Fuuma no Kojiro

Not really much to say about it..... watchable for die-hard kurumada char. designs ... and that's it. Nothing here makes sense and mostly everything happens just because. It reminded me the reasons why i can't stand One Piece.... even on a deeper level.

Katanagatari

This is a hard one to make a final review ....

For starters, i must express my absolute grattitude to all those who pointed this show and insisted on it later. Didn't attract me that much in the beginning to be honest, and yes, is definitely worth watching from start to finish.... although .... this is a weird animal.... don't know what to do now.... keep it or not....

From my point of view, the series has a bad start:

- Togame isn't exactly a character to feel attached to & sichika... is just a stereotypical plain/warrior char.

-First foe from chapter is one of the most uninteresting & childish maniwa members ... although most of 'em are quite ropey concerning designs, roles, etc... and couldn't shake this feeling that they belonged to series for lower aged audiences, even Pokemon came to mind at times...

- Second chapter, as already pointed earlier, waste an absurd amount of airtime discussing the obnoxious catchphrases topic .... this turned out to be a knife to my stomach until the very end, where they ruined even the uninteresting romantic scene & final killing with this typical japanese obsession.

- Japanese animes doesn't shine for having nice or even complex endings, Katanagatari is no exception. Final chapter is hard to stand with the absurd airtime they wasted on the uninteresting ( i'd even say, uncalled for ) romantic/epic scene.... that was even ruined with the "cheerio" issue once again, so it started from bad to worse... then you got the unnecessary high-speed final battles that end with a ninja with guns as the final foe with the ultimate sword ?!?! ... i admit this is personal, but i dislike these type of fire weapons, and even more on a swordmanship context.

.... with all i just wrote it would seem there shouldn't be anything clouding my judgement but there's also good points:

- Some designs were really bright, using a range of vivid colours that fitted more than well on screen, and that's not easy.

- While the main characters were far from being interesting, most of their adversaries were on the opposite side , not to mention Shichika's sister that graced 2 eps.

- The animation flows smoothly.... for an anime series; there's some episodes that abuse of still backgrounds, and still can't agree too much some typical fighting moves ( like the ancient big jump in the air & hit as a power move .... that rationally thinking let you wide open.... and has been in use for decades in anime.... too much cliché for this day & age )

- The structure of this anime itself is great: I like more this 40 something minute episodes than the typical 20 min. format that tends to rush things too much on some genres that need time to develop.

Katanagatari has a relaxed pace from classical tales ( even the female narrator use the classical tone for fairytales, it even made me remember princess tutu ) that benefits greatly from the extended chapter time.... this helps to create a different viewing pleasure experience ( considering this is no the usual format ) that i at least liked ... and now ... miss.

Sadly enough, it had potential for more..... much more.... but much, much more.... maybe it's just me, but i see they could 've made some type Kino No Tabi meets Shonen/samurai with a touch of deconstruction for the genre itself .... but reality was they went the easy way... and even paired Shichika with the other obnoxius feamale character of this cast....

So in the end, i'll miss some things from Katanagatari....even if i couldn't stand others. The show did leave an impression so find it hard to delete right now.... hmmm.... this will take me some time to decide
Maerskian is offline   Reply With Quote