Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-10-16, 21:27   Link #4397
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
For the hardcore ones, it can be considered as a battle to win, if they can make the other side convert to Islam before/during the marriage. That is something they can use to market...
Interestingly enough, my own experiences with Muslims tend to be that they are all strong believers in the religion's tenets - i.e., their faith don't waver to any significant degree - but the moderates don't go around trying to convert other people or looking to place their beliefs on them. Other religions' moderates tend to be... looser about following their respective religion's tenets - in addition to not preaching to people so much also - instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
But, no reason to limit that other side option to other religions. I know that big problems may arise, even if both sides belong to the same religion, but different sects. I don't know how valid is this with Christianity, but it is a lot more valid with Islam. Since neither side want to resign from their own sects, it would be an ongoing battle during their marriage, and a bigger problem arise when they have the kids. Then, it becomes a family vs. family struggle, with the entry of the relatives...
None of my Christian friends who married outside of their religious branch had this problem, but they are just a tiny subset of the population. Problems in the family tend to be caused more by socio-economic differences between husband and wife or made worse by their own families instead, but OTOH, none of my friends had to deal with the idea of abortion personally so that could be a conflict point. I've never studied the different branches of Christianity in detail, but overall in the U.S., they seem to be very much alike - outside of ceremonies' details and such?

2009 U.S. deficit is now US$1.42 trillion
Quote:
WASHINGTON – What is $1.42 trillion? It's more than the total national debt for the first 200 years of the Republic, more than the entire economy of India, almost as much as Canada's, and more than $4,700 for every man, woman and child in the United States.

It's the federal budget deficit for 2009, more than three times the most red ink ever amassed in a single year.
Ugh...

Russia is ready to abandon the U.S. Dollar in oil/gas trade with China
Quote:
BEIJING, October 14 (RIA Novosti) - Russia is ready to consider using the Russian and Chinese national currencies instead of the dollar in bilateral oil and gas dealings, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said on Wednesday.
BNO News: Iran says it will exclude the U.S. Dollar from foreign revenues and reserves

Quote:
Iran says it will soon exclude the U.S. dollar from the country's foreign revenues and reserves, state media reports.
From Twitter, and it looks to be breaking news ATM.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!