View Single Post
Old 2009-11-13, 15:39   Link #303
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I have watched till the end of the first match... and I have to say that so far I am not that impressed personally. It's not that it is bad, but it reminds me too much of the likes of Captain Tsubasa, maybe with a level up in the characterization department. Not that it is bad, but my personal peak for that type of series was 15 years ago. Does it get better?
Hmmm - that's a bit of a tough question.

I'm tempted to say no, if it doesn't appeal to you by now it probably never will. But my recollection (it's been a couple of years since I watched it) is that OoFuri sort of wormed it's way into my psyche, despite never really evolving that much thematically. The relentlessly open nature of the material wore down my resistance, I guess. It's kind of the anti-"Major" (which I also love) for better and worse - there are no exceptional figures here. The games themselves are almost comically literal and realistic - sometimes it seemed like they were in real-time, they took so long to resolve!

But it worked better and better as it progressed, at least for me. What appealed to me was that it was a series that was openly and enthusiastically fond of all the characters. There were no real villains and really, what you see is a bunch of relatively normal teenagers acting like relatively normal teenagers. I thought it captured the emotional vulnerability of teenage males rather well, as well as their oddities and idiosyncrasies. It was just a show about rather likable but basically normal boys dealing with the pleasures and pressures of baseball and friendship in a (for me) endearingly transparent and feckless way. If that appeals to you, I don't think you'll see it done much better. But I could also see where it wouldn't appeal to everyone.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote