Thread: Defrag: A myth?
View Single Post
Old 2007-08-18, 10:24   Link #79
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Ermm this maybe a little off topic but when I accidentally pressed disk cleanup I got so amazed that I can recover so hard disk space about 3gb. I'm also wondering what is the compressed old files? Finally does this harm my files if I do disk cleanup? Oh yeah If I remember it clearly it also has temporary internet files? and that means the cookies?
Compressing old files is at your will. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it... especially because I don't know how does Windows handle the compression. My hunch is that it'll probably screw up the organization of your files... besides, how "old" does the system reckon a file must be when it becomes compression material? I wouldn't trust it too much (then again, I probably wouldn't trust any of the Windows bundled apps like Disk Cleanup or the defrag app).

Also keep in mind that if the system attempts to compress 3 GB of scattered data (not scattered in the sense of fragmentation, but in the sense of it being thousands, or even millions, of different files) it'll probably become unusable for a considerable amount of time (while it attempts the compression).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2007-08-18 at 14:57.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote