View Single Post
Old 2010-08-22, 09:25   Link #4544
Servant-Kanon
~* Ushiromiya Servant *~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdri View Post
Sorry to disappoint you but thats also very true for Markus / Marcus (and names of similar changes like George/Jörg, Jacob/Jakob, Lucas/Lukas etc.). Believe me I really get that question a lot. <_<

I know technically that isn't even a "German" name (and some of the examples likewise) as it's once again in use since ancient Rome (mostly likely from Mars, god of war, like sooo many other names) but it definitively a really wide spread name in Germany nowadays (I know at least 4 friends of my age with either of the versions) and I think its safe to say nobody from here would consider it foreign sounding.
GWAH!
I forgot about those names x_X

George/Jörg aren't really relatet are they ?
Isn't the German form of George, Georg ?
Well that's what I thought at least.

Quote:
On the other side which names would really qualify as typically German name nowadays?
If its not some name like Wolfgang, Wilhelm, Heinrich, Hildebrand which contain really easily identifiable references to real German word it gets subjective really fast. After all most of THOSE name are out-dated and most kids aren't given them anymore.
Or something like Brunhilde and such...
But as I said Gertrud(e) has it's roots in German Words.
So it's very likely that her name IS german.
And if someone I knew had such a name I couldn't stop laughing.

Quote:
Add all this multi-cultural influences on present Germany (and many historical influences from different nation on what is Germany today), the idea of "cool" foreign languages mixing with your own AND most importantly how you may even associated with fascistic ideology for pushing this "truly German" stuff to hard (and WW2 as a the worst reminder what grotesque implications may result) and you get yourself a really messed up topic to discuss.
Well the second World-War certainly is the Worst reminder ever.
I know so many people who call me Nazi for no reason except being german.
It's sad to see people who really think we would be like this even today.
Even thought Germany evolved so much...

Quote:
Well that got a little bit out of hand but it think it clearly shows how Germany doesn't have such ties to strict naming conventions to justify thumbing on changes for more "accurate" names in the story.
But that's today.
At the time my Grandparents were born, names Like Gertrud were used quite often.
Heck even my school has this name.