View Single Post
Old 2011-05-16, 03:34   Link #85
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I hate to belabour the point, but I think I know what the show is trying to do overall thus far...
You might, but I don't.

Just to be clear, I was using the term "you" in a general sense when I wrote "It can be a bit jarring and leave you wondering what exactly the anime is aiming for overall."

I wasn't referring to you specifically there.

Quote:
Well, the thing you have to remember is that I never saw episodes 1 and 2 as "much more dramatic than comedic".
And yet some of us did see those episodes that way. I haven't really been convinced by you, by totoum, or by anybody else that my take on those first two episodes is any less legitimate than different takes are.

Reckoner earlier provided one good reason why some of us viewed it that way. Ohana was hit pretty hard by disappointment after meeting everybody at the Inn. She took Minchi's "Die!" comments pretty seriously, and she took everything kind of seriously, in my opinion. In my view, that gives everything a very serious and dramatic feel. I mean, Ohana is the main character, and so her reactions can and often will go a long way in determining how viewers will take what's shown on screen.

Quote:
From my perspective, what Hana-Saku Iroha is trying to do at this point (and I expect it will shift gears later on) is make a comedy that is also emotionally poignant (and drop dead gorgeous looking). And at least from where I stand its been succeeding at that with flying colours.
Well, for some of us, when Hana-Saku Iroha tries to be both comedic and "emotionally poignant" at the same time, it often ends up half-assing both, as Archon alluded to.

Quote:
Plus, Hana-Saku has been building a storyline in a "mosiac" fashion each episode, likely setting up some decent drama later on.
You write that as though that's the only way Hana-Saku could possibly go. There's more than one way to set up drama later on.

Anohana's approach, for example, is much less "mosaic" in nature, and much more consistent and methodical, with every episode tying into the last and the one before it.

The same was also true of how Madoka Magica approached its drama.

Quote:
As for the comparison with Angel Beats - in my opinion, all of the elements in Angel Beats belonged there and it was time allocation that created so many issues.
I don't think that time allocation was the only issue. Angel Beats! kept switching back and forth, and then back and forth again, between its various elements. It started to lose a sense of identity through doing so, in my opinion.