View Single Post
Old 2012-08-13, 08:04   Link #4783
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalsePrime View Post
Given the animation errors present in the last episode of Wing and the fact that Zech's is fighting Heero on even footing while Heero is using the Zero System it stands to reason that Zechs is in fact using it regardless of him not having the helmet in the last episode.
I never noticed that. Gee, I feel so blind...

*looks through the episodes* Right, he takes the helmet off after he can't kill Noin to get to Peacemillion. Huh, that's more of a shipping moment than I thought... Anyway, suppose Zechs is not using Epyon's ZERO system anymore, does it say anywhere that Heero is using his during their battle? I was looking for the tell-tale yellow screens but I found none in that fight, unlike during the first time they duke it out in those suits.
So, instead of an inconsistency, could it be that they're not using the system altogether?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalsePrime View Post
Also we need to account for the fact that while weirdly everything since Wing always paints Heero as being a ranged fighter he does go melee several times and in fact seems to prefer multiple times and functions very well in Merc.
Indeed, Heero definitely seems to prefer close combat, which is likely due to his mastery of swordsmanship as well as his "poor" aim. He says himself that he has more trouble with space mines than MDs and in episode 30 when he fights as a merc for the Treize faction, he's incapable of shooting down all the missiles with his Leo before they hit the civilians he's trying to protect.
Compare that to the likes of Trowa, who slips in somersaults while taking out projectiles, or Duo, who can both cripple and disarm someone with one shot, or Noin, who's coolly shooting off MSs' legs in a crappy old model while bullets are coming at her from all sides.
It also doesn't help that Heero's buster rifles usually cover a large radius when he fires them, so it's not like he needs to be exceptionally precise. Just look at Libra or the bunker in Brussels. I know it was done for dramatic effect, but it took him five million hours to take aim. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
He already was using the Epyon System, it's what pushed him to accept the whole White Fang thing. Had they approached him before he was touched by the Epyon and Zero systems it's highly doubtful Zechs would have accepted the invitation if it was still offered.

Quatre was out of the Zero system for sometime, he had time to think about it. Zechs was more than content using the Epyon System without any doubts, he even had Dorothy use it so she could use the Mobile Dolls. To a lesser extent of course, but more than enough to embarrass the Gundam Pilots until Heero had the Zero System put into the Sandrock Kai.
I think you're overestimating the ZERO system's influence. If you remember, Quatre went bananas before he built Zero. When he was laughing madly, Zero wasn't around yet. The kid was out for blood. He said himself that during the construction of Wing Zero, he only focused on the huge rifle. How could Quatre be under the influence of the system if that hadn't been built yet?
The ZERO system was just what kept him from realizing his mistake after he blew up the first colony (or resource satellite, I think it was), hence why he asked himself why he was crying. Since the ZERO system is a combat system that calculates the best course of action to win, without any regards to collateral damage, be it civilians' or even the pilot's life, any compassion Quatre felt was pushed out of his mind. Until Trowa decided to blow himself up.
Same with Dorothy, the system made her not give a rat's butt if she'd wreck Libra, as long as she won against the Gundam pilots.

Of course there's the whole "showing you the future" mumbo jumbo but if you aren't predisposed to take a certain action (I'm not talking about a battle situation but someone's general convictions and beliefs), the ZERO system won't magically turn you into a world-hating nihilist. Wu Fei alone is proof enough for that.
I pointed out in an earlier post that Zechs' twisted idea of turning people into pacifists by abundant slaughter was already present in Antarctica with Relena. Neither Epyon nor Zero were introduced at that point. Aside from that, I believe Zechs was written as a condensed version of Char, hence why he inevitably had to try to throw a big nasty thing at Earth. But no matter what character he's paying homage to, with the way Zechs was written, his actions are entirely his own fault. Epyon might have helped support his decision, but the notion itself was his from the beginning.

Last edited by IkuzeMinna; 2012-08-13 at 08:10. Reason: missing words
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote