View Single Post
Old 2013-08-10, 14:58   Link #33
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasukeuzi View Post
Well in the Fate series magic is kind of treated as Science.
"Science is an art that goes towards the future, while magic is one that delves in the past"- Tohsaka Rin.
Science isn't really an art. Art is about personal expression and creation, where the only limit is your own imagination, while science is about learning more about the natural world and accepting what it has to say about reality. Science is very rooted in established scientific laws and theories. I like Sci-Fi because it can be very interesting to see where such laws and theories and knowledge of the natural world could possibly take us if we continue to scientifically advance, but (good) Sci-Fi recognizes that some things are simply impossible, period. Magic, in my view, is all about going beyond laws and theories, and magic is also about making the impossible, possible. So magic-based stories have their own distinct charm, which I'd rather they not lose.

Miyu viewing personal flight as "impossible" while Illya just makes it happen with ease is a beautiful example of such charming magic. That certainly doesn't seem very scientific to me (nor does the way that a certain golden-armored antagonist carries himself in other Fate/Series works ). I don't really see how the magic in this show is like science.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2013-08-10 at 15:10.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote