View Single Post
Old 2012-07-22, 21:46   Link #281
Tyr Valein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I got used to that since SDF-1

When the Zentradi invaded the Solar System back in the day, it was a fleet of millions. Then it was revealed that it was a million-ship fleet... out of thousands (with more being produced)...

Is that even possible? Imagine them lining up, they'd cause a galactic traffic jam...

A single 5 million ship fleet is supported by approximately 40 factory satellites. After acquiring the technology, I am not as surprised that NUNS came up with some impressive reverse-engineering on their own.

And you take into account that there are hundreds, if not thousands of colonial fleets spreading across the galaxy.

Both of these concepts had been around for a long time as well. Back in the day, they were known as FAST packs. Valkyries with auxiliary engines were found on early fighters such as the VF-4.

- Tak
I'm surprised the Zentradi left any resources at all for us out there in our big, milky galaxy. And for the record, no, I cannot fathom how many ships that is. No matter how much I try to wrap my mind around it.

As for the FAST packs, I know the VF-25 was designed to be modular in order to take advantage of multiple roles (though we most commonly see it with the Super Pack standard), but the VF-27 and YF-29 actually incorporated the wing mounted auxiliary engines in the basic design (and god knows how much the VF-27's base specs surpass the VF-25's even with the Super Pack). I think that the wing mounted engines on the VF-4 were the main engines though. So I'm wondering if we'll see a whole bunch of variable fighters with four engines, base. (The YF-29 an VF-27 had what? SIX engines with their Super Packs?)

On topic: Did you hear about Macross Two-Nine? Or am I just hallucinating it?