View Single Post
Old 2009-02-26, 03:47   Link #36
Matt122005

Ok, fine, no quote by quote arguing. lol

First, that's great if it helped YOU to learn to love reading. But the majority of teens in school HATE reading, with a vigor. They find it un-interesting and boring. And the only material they read, is the forced stuff at school, which only makes them continue to hate reading.

Quote:
As awesome as it sounds, I don't believe light novels are the solution to getting more teens to read.
And of-course, your free to feel that way. ^_^ So we'll just agree to disagree on this idea. But I will state, I do not believe that Light Novels are the end all cure to get ALL teens to love reading. But in my opinion, it would be able to get a large sum of teens to become active readers. But that's just my opinion.

I'm not going to get into a bunch of facts, you can google them for yourself in terms of reading statsitcs and surveys done within the US. But the majoirty of americans either "have no time to read a novel cause their busy" or "don't care to, as they find tv more interesting". Those who read books, do not think that the majoirty of books coming out are all that great either. For example, if you go into a big bookstore, and actively ask people on a survey their opinions, chances are, most have the perception that only a small number of novels that come out each year are worth someones true time reading, and the majority, aren't. But you can take this or leave it. Your choice. It's obviously not scientific. lol

As for the same argument being made in Japan. Um, parts, sure, but not totally. For one thing, a large majority of the youth of Japan read novels, as well as adults, so the statistic of 50% or the idea that the majoirty of people don't read can't be made. As for "they are too long", obviously this can not be made either, considering light novels are the exact opposite on average of being TOO LONG. But as for cliche and etc, yes, there are light novels that are simply cliche rehashing. Obviously. No matter what culture or market, there will be authors who only seem to be able to re-tell the same story cause they enjoyed it when they read it. But the point to be made, is that although there are some cliche light novels, etc, in my opinion at least half are not. Light Novel authors truly push themselves to come up with storylines that will seperate their novels from others, considering there is so much active competition within the large number of light novels published. So, in this regard, america's majority of novels in my opinion have nothing new to bring to the table (with some exceptions ofcourse) and light novels in japan actually do attempt for the most part to create innovative storylines that stretch the imagination.

Um, I won't get into the culture and such. America has alot of crap in it's culture, and Japan does have alot of positives that we don't have. But, Japan is not perfect as well, and has flaws that we don't. So its a give and take type of thing.

Lol, what do you take me for? A light novel JUNKIE? lol

I don't judge a book simply by its cover. haha (I only do that with light novels, and so far, its never proven me wrong once.)

I DO read the books, or I take time to skim through them, as well as reading the story synopsis.

Basicly, the books aren't gripping, the storys are either rehashed and cliche, and it makes me wonder, why the heck am I going to spend a week reading this crap? (or worse, I already did) <_<

Given up on english literature? ................ wow, you totally misunderstood my viewpoint. lol

I LOVE ENGLISH LITERATURE! I'm simply stating that at this point in time, it sucks for the most part (the new stuff coming out and most of the material they are having teens read in school [which I'm sure was innovative and new when it first came out, but to teens today, its not, and they need literature of their own day to enjoy which appeals to them]) and that light novels are doing what our books are not.

Look, in case you didn't know it, I'm a writer. I not only am writing several light novels, but I have also written NORMAL english literature. I appreciate both, especially since I have had the privalage of writing both. ^_^

Anyways, point is, I see light novels as the key to re-juvinating the novel industry in america, but you don't.

So, as a wise man once said, "Let's agree, to Disagree."

-Matt

Quote:
In my opinion as a former western literature reader, it pains me to say this but I hope the light novel style of writing never take holds in the western literature world. I already know a few people who threw their Harry Potter into the trash bins just from its writing style. It pains me to think what they would do to light novels
Um....those few people are a real big EXCEPTION. Considering that Harry Potter is one of the most succesful book series in history, I don't think it matters a couple people don't like the grammar.

However, I do know what you are refering to. There are some light novels that have horrible grammar and horrible writing style. But it is important to note that the POPULAR series' for the most part are not like this. You just have to realize that so many light novels are published, that within them are some very sour apples.

However, the writing styles of many light novels are very good, and some are very innovative.

For one thing, Light Novels allow a total freedom when writing. There are no rules. Basicly, your job is to simply tell the story in whatever way you wish, and ofcourse make it enjoyable to read. lol

I love the idea of short paragraphs that can go as short as a sentence, or having an entire line for a word or sound effect.

In fact, these writing styles have had a tremendous effect on my writing and possitively so. People love not reading wasted paragraphs. If all you have to say about the bird is that its beautiful, and if any more details are useless, simply have a one sentence paragraph stating the simple fact that it was beautiful and don't add 3-4 more sentences explaining what you meant. In fact, shorter paragraphs help the reading process at times, and keeps you moving onto the next sentence in my opinion.

Point is, Light Novels aren't perfect, and yes there are some really badly written ones out there, but there are also some very WELL WRITTEN one's out there, and they represent in my opinion what Light Novels truly can become.

Lol, ok, I guess this turned out to be a very long post. haha

Last edited by Matt122005; 2009-02-26 at 05:15.
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote