View Single Post
Old 2012-04-26, 05:04   Link #1003
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

Ok here is the equivalent portion in Japanese.

カミトにはツンツンした態度をとっている彼女だが、その気になれば、名門民族の令嬢らしい振る舞いをするこ ともできる。頭の回転も早く、「カラミティ・クイーン」の妹として迫害されてきたせいか、したたかさもそな えているため、交渉には適任というわけだ。

In front of Kamito, she's always tsun tsun, but if she really feels like it, she can act like the noble she really is. She thinks quickly and is also very determined, perhaps due to being ostracized as the sister of the Calamity Queen. So, she is likely the most suited to negotiation.

Reading this, it sounds like Claire is great at negotiation, but not really. The actual important line here is the one that comes immediately before this section.

そんな二人に比べると、クレアはそつなくこなしてくれそうだ。

Compared to those two, Claire looks much more likely to be able to do it.

Claire is the most suited to negotiation, between Ellis, Rinslet, and Claire. This by no means means that Claire is actually good. She's just better than the other two because they are terrible.

I'm also a native Chinese speaker, but simplified characters are a little difficult for me to read. However, it seems like the Chinese passage and the Japanese passage are different in a subtle but important way.

虽然面对神人时总是一副盛气凌人的态度,不过要是有那个想法的话,表现得像一个名门大小姐也是 可以的。头脑 运转的速度很快,大概是因为身为<灾祸的精灵姬>的妹妹而受到迫害的缘故吧,也有圆滑的一面, 无疑很适合担 任交涉人选。

したたかさもそなえているため is translated to 也有圆滑的一面 in Chinese. This is CLEARLY a miss translation.

The Japanese reads literally "is equipped with determination". The Chinese reads "possesses a side of craftiness".

Excuse me, but, craftiness and determination are totally different. Furthermore, the Chinese passage makes no sense. She is anything BUT crafty. She is determined to the point of stupidity and confrontational.

无疑很适合担 任交涉人选 = without a doubt she is she is a excellent choice to negotiation with the enemy team.

交渉には適任というわけだ = it stands to reason that she is the best choice for negotiation.

The difference between the Chinese and the Japanese is that the Chinese implies that she is an absolute best choice with 无疑 = without a doubt.

The problem with this translation is that というわけ and 无疑 are not equivalents. 无疑 = without a doubt implying that Claire is an ABSOLUTE suitable candidate. というわけ = it stands to reason implying that WITHIN the group Claire is the most suitable candidate.

I apologize if I sound like an ass. I don't mean any offense darkfanta. I just want to set the record straight because people are unfairly criticizing the author for being inconsistent, when it really is the translation that is inconsistent. It's because of things like these that I stopped reading Chinese light novels and went and learned the source language. I'm no Japanese pro (well, I am trying to become a professional translator). However, I'm fairly confident when I say that the Chinese translations always seem accurate on first glance, but they break down entirely when you start actually relying on them to infer things. It's always almost as if the Japanese -> Chinese translator either is completely blind to subtext or he/she is just not that competent with Japanese to begin with.

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]

Last edited by Sylphic; 2012-04-26 at 07:07.
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote