View Single Post
Old 2011-11-26, 02:48   Link #73
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermes Marana View Post
Are there? 2006 still has the records for the most tv shows and the most shows overall. 2006 and 2007 both have more 3+ ep shows than any other years. 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 are the years with the most 20+ ep shows (2010 is below 1998 and 1999).

So no, there aren't really more shows (at least not in 2008-2010). And there certainly isn't more play time, because shows have gotten shorter on average.

Late 90s anime ≠ early/mid 2000s anime ≠ current anime

The problem with that logic was that, during early 2000s the whole world is transitioning into digital age with DVD media. As lot of those 3-10 episode stuff are OVA, meaning that aren't aired on TV first.

Compare to now to then there are more TV timeslot dedicate to anime now more than ever. Sure, sometime the market got saturated so much (ie 2006,2009) that there might not be many as many new shows in next year and those timeslot instead got replaced with reruns.

Gones are the days of Cyber Formula where they release 5,6 episodes on tape/VCD. Heck, you'll never see 110 episode OVA like Legend of Galactic Heroes or 13 epiisode OVA like Record of Lodoss War.

Instead, OVA is now mostly refer to special episodes that were included on DVD of the say series or promotional episodes used to promote upcoming season.

Yes, the total of show might be the same, but many show that weren't used to be on TV are now on TV first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermes Marana View Post
Unfortunately, it isn't that easy. You will always end up going back and forth on something subjective.

For example, I would say that one of the major factors is the increase in popularity of young female characters who are targeted at 20-something men, and are not relatable or very interesting. The top sales lists provide some evidence of the first part because there are lots of seinen shows starring young girls.

However, whether or not the characters are relatable or interesting enough to justify their starring role, or whether their starring role was earned only by the archetype they fit, is subjective. And it will always be subjective.
I agree that there are more anime adaption with cute female characters that were based on their appeal to 20+ male, but the question are they impacting the none moe character-centric show being made?

IMO, the answer is no. As I say those shows are still being made and you agreed, then what was the issue? the quality of the shows those action/sci-fi/suspense type?

Using your examples from 1998 (even though a few series were actually not from that year) only was originated as anime original. So to say that the moe-centric show impact what was being made was wrong as most anime are still derived from manga, light novel, or games.

Everything else on your list are still manga derived, 3 of them are senin derived in Outlaw Star, Master Keaton, Cowboy Bepop and Berserk, While HxH, Trigun, Kenshin are shounen. Among them, original Cowboy Bepop manga was actually a fairly short and mediocre seinen manga with only 2 volumes.

As I mentioned there are clearly more Shonen manga derive anime than ever especially titles from JUMP with OP, Naruto, Toriko, Bleach, Gintama, new HxH, and any of these series are comparative with any of three shounen you mentioned popularity wise if not more so, especially in OP's case.

So the question is really down to are there any senin-manga derived anime other than moe-centric show?

(BTW, Outlaw Star has plenty of moe-type characters as well, and features ample fan-services and harem element, and even Cowboy Bepop have its moe character type in it.)

Again, using Anime DB, and just search this year (2011) I found 3 shows that are devoid of any moe-character type:

Hyouge Mono
Shuukan Shimakou
Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji: Hakairoku Hen

All three are highly touted seinen especially Hyouge Mono and Shuukan Shimakou.

That's not including seinen manga that were made into live drama like Bartender (which also had anime 5 years ago) or Misaki #1 and was unthinkable 10,15 years.

Actually this reminds me that there are a lot more manga that where getting adapted into live drama since 2006 (beforem than it was far in between) which could explain the potential lower count of seinen anime. Title like Monster would be made into drama right now and not anime.

Anyway, so now the issue is in 1998, what other seine-manga based show are there, and through anime DB, there are total of 15 seinen manga shows and at least 1/2 are fan-service/ecchi/comedy titles that you mentioned while the other are ambiguous titles that involves some form of moe-character type.

Examples are:
Yume de Aetara
Princess Nine
Momoiro Sisters
Android Ana Maico 2010
Futari Gurashi

And considering that 1998 is a famous action year, that is pretty represented samples.

The only thing I would say is that nowadays, there are a lot more light novel based anime adaption and since LN tend to be more suspect of checklist mentality of character types it reflects on the anime adaption.

BTW, I find it interesting that almost every LN-based anime are tagged with seinin in Anime DB perhaps because most LN-based manga are serialized in seinen magazines. But technically light novels are market toward teenagers like sounen mangas do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
To be frank, I wanted to be as open-minded as possible when it comes to my watching preferences, that is, trying the different dishes on the smorgasbord, unlike some fans who prefer sticking to one particular era or genre.
And that is IMO, the problem with western fans or at least the ones who are picky with genre. When they realize the trend is toward a genre they don't like, they blame everything on otaku, when otaku are in reality the ones that watches EVERYTHING and it is those close minded fans that was being picky. Not to mention they are also the ones that tend to not buy the related product the further the demise of their favorite genre. (or at least force their genre to adapt.)