View Single Post
Old 2012-03-26, 20:04   Link #63
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
They've been drastically changing stuff since the middle of season 1, and they stopped really caring about how much they changed in season 2. It's certainly not inclusive to season 4.
There is still an apparent difference, though. In the early seasons (particularly the middle two), they made changes to the anime despite having the flexibility to adapt the source as they more or less chose (to a certain point). With the last season, a few things notwithstanding, they appeared to be trying to gloss over all the novel content with about as much care as they could do given that they had about 20 minutes per novel (which is to say, not nearly enough by a long shot to be true to the source). I think what Nochgo is saying is still true to a certain degree that, in this season's case, the main enemy was the episode count, and not so much willingness to acknowledge the novels.

I do think, though, that strict faithfulness to the novels was never an objective of the production from day one. And to be fair, back in those days, it wasn't as common for anime to follow their source material as strictly as can sometimes happens now. I think expectations have changed a bit over the years (perhaps in part because of shows like this).

Anyway, these are things that should probably be discussed in the overall impressions thread, since it really isn't about Episode 12 in particular.