View Single Post
Old 2011-04-12, 16:41   Link #396
thirdlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
No, of course not. Clannad and Haruhi definately took more effort and production time compared to Lucky Star, K-on or Nichijou.
I suppose you judged it by their arts. If so, I have to say that's not true. What takes effort and production time the most is animation. Putting aside the Haruhi movie (it's a MOVIE), there is not much difference among their animation qualities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooglah24 View Post
Clearly this is a show meant only for otaku's.
The director said K-ON was not only for otaku. It's two years ago, so I don't remember the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Most studios simply accept what's offered to them. They have no money, are hungry for work, and just do the job that's requested (yes, that often includes things like censorship and anime original arcs). The hope is that if they do a good job within specifications, they'll get hired again later. This model also allows them to remain relevant in terms of industry trends -> since the clients decide what they animate, there's much less chance of producing something contrary to current tastes.
That's not true. Studios big enough capable of producing one show are always suggesting projects to publishers. They are hungry for work. Yes. There are no reasons for them to wait for someone to offer a project to them. Of course, they accept what's offered to them too.

Quote:
On the other hand, the more creative or business savvy studios regularly suggest projects. They also involve themselves in planning and risk more of their money in exchange for a piece of the pie (the show becomes their project and not just something built to client specifications). KyoAni is certainly one of these, although the decision making process seems to be heavily dominated by the owners. I don't think they even have any animation staff/creators in management (unlike Satelight, I.G., or BONES), which shows.
And this one is wrong too. KyoAni is not the type of a company which suggests projects. Now matter how you look at KyoAni, they only accept Kadokawa and TBS's requests.

TBS is the one who wanted to make Key's anime and got animation rights from Key and asked KyoAni to make adaptations. The shows I don't know where came from very much are Fumoffu and K-ON! But it'd be safe to say they're not KyoAni's projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Well, as long as you have the staff, and more importantly, -cash-, I guess it shouldn't be hard, should it?
That's right. Actually, it is HARDER. It's the most difficult thing and takes money and time the most in animation. That's why most studios cut corners on it. KyoAni's greatness is that they easily animate casual movements as if it were nothing. KyoAni CEO says that that's their strength and that he doesn't prevent his animators from animating what they want to animate regardless of how much budget is. When KyoAni tries to take advantage of their strength, their anime genre is getting narrower and narrower, and comes down to slice of life.

Quote:
KyoAni is, contrary to what many people believe, a small studio. They aren't anything close to big shots like Sunrise, Madhouse or Bones, which is even more noticeable if you check their history.
Hi, I'm one of that 'many people'. I see what you mean by that, but I don't believe KyoAni is a big studio. They have about eighty or ninety (or perhaps neary a hundred of) animators as permanent employees. Sunrise, Madhouse and Bones don't have that many animators. In this sense, KyoAni is a big studio.