View Single Post
Old 2012-10-09, 08:45   Link #339
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
I find it really disturbing that nobody pays any note to how their classmates suddenly vanish.
They notice. It's why there's that awkward pause and subject change when Saki starts talking about the kids in her former school, there's the discussion about the teachers administrative room, and a few other things I had mentioned in a previous post. The scene with Saki eavesdropping on her parents tells you a lot too.

Order and collectivism are rigidly enforced in that community, which is why rebelling is a very bad idea. It's not much different than modern Japan (and many other societies), in that people don't feel it is appropriate to talk about these problems with each other ("the nail that sticks up must be hammered down" and all that), and so problems are swept under the rug even though everyone suffers for it. It's possible that if the parents all spoke up about it, things could change for the better, but there is such a fear of being the ones who stick out, and a fear that no one else will stand up with them, that everyone ends up going along with the warped rules and nothing changes. I'd imagine that many of the parents feel exactly like Saki's do.

And of course, it doesn't help that in this world someone could kill you just by thinking it. That's pretty effective in clamping down on any residual rebellion.

Speaking of Psychokinesis, it's interesting that science has reverted to a rudimentary state. I find the massive regression in human civilization one of the more curious elements of the story. Imagine, somewhere in orbit, is a space station with grinning skeletons, and no one even knows they are there.