Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers)
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-02, 12:03   Link #686
Gooral
Banned

I for one loved this episode and didn't find it boring at all. I disagree that Kenji is an uninteresting character, IMO he's much more interesting than glutton Serika whose mind is only about food (seriously, her gastric problems stopped being cute like 20 episodes ago, whenever she appears you can be 100% sure that she will mention food one way or another) and sometimes about finding a cure. Typical tragic past and a motivation resulting from it don't help either. But I don't find her boring either and I like her still, just not as much as some other characters (my favourite so far is Yasushi Furuya - not counting Mutta of course).

Anyway, I really liked this episode since it has shown some background on Kenji. Yes, there was no revelation there (such as a father who was a doctor who failed to find a cure so his offspring decided to continue his work) but that's precisely why I liked it. Space Brothers is at it's best when real life is shown and that's exactly what we got served. Seeing how he met his wife and her support for the dream of the person she loves was touching and brought an optimism to the show. I definitely preferred it than the alternative where we would have some forced drama and a divorce maybe, the tone of this show IS optimistic and that's why I love to watch it.

I also wasn't sure whether Kenji would be chosen or not, the way things were set up it could go either way. And I really liked how this whole scene was directed and the question Kenji asked, i.e. why doesn't he get to the relevant point? That's so typical for a clerk to start a long speech even though only the end result is interesting. They're like born sadists. And of course Kenji couldn't just tell him to cut the crap already and cut to the chase. I think that anyone could identify himself with Kenji at that moment.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote