View Single Post
Old 2011-01-27, 20:35   Link #57
Saber Cherry
Marionette

There's a trend of magical girls destined to fight their friends. You have Pretty Sammy vs Pixy Misa; Nanoha vs Fate; Nanoha vs Hayate (and minions); Yuna Kagurazaka vs virtually all her (subsequent) friends; Akazukin vs Gretel; etc. It's just a common theme - I have not watched Black Rock Shooter, by the way, but I know it's there, as well.

So I'm wondering. What if magical girls turn (or have an opportunity to turn) into witches when they are killed in battle? We still don't know where witches come from...

In other news... Clarste made a good post, but I don't necessarily agree with the premise of Mami being evil or selfish. Consider that she actually died many years ago, and was granted an extension on life by Kyuubei. From that perspective...

A) Mami might be a puppet of Kyuubei, created and (at least partly) controlled for the sole (excuse the pun) purpose of getting Madoka to sign a contract. I think this is unlikely, but somewhat intriguing.

B) Considering that Mami was alive for the past ~6 years only because Kyuubei specifically granted her life, it would be appropriate and expected if she were grateful - even if some conditions were placed on her. If I had a terminal illness and a doctor extended my life by 6 years, but I had to eat a very strict diet and jog 12 miles a day, would I be grateful? Yes. And I would encourage others to visit my doctor, even if they were not terminally ill.

Ultimately, she did not seem selfish to me, just a bit misguided - if all she wanted were friends and a normal life, and thought Kyuubei was evil, she could have allowed him to be killed in episode 1 (unless, of course, he was sustaining her).

Anyway~

I'm hoping Madoka uses her wish to bring Mami back to life.