View Single Post
Old 2012-12-01, 23:58   Link #72
Sol Falling

Epic way to die. I'll agree with Triple R and Kazu-kun and say that this episode feels like the high point of the series. I can't say I'm particularly interested in seeing the relationships of the rest of the series knowing that they'll end up in pairings of Maria x Mamoru and Saki x Satoru. I'll keep watching to give the story a chance to surprise me, but with fairly low expectations.

On the Saki x Shun issue I'll say that I agree that Shun seemed way too careful/controlled or introverted for Saki to have known any real part of him. On the other hand, I particularly question those who say that Shun's relationship with Satoru was more meaningful because there's nothing to say that Shun's interactions with him were any less measured or artificial. The one thing that's clear is that Shun has always loved/longed for Saki, which is a bit more than you could say for Satoru.

Anyway, one thing you have to ask about the "Hashimoto Appelbaum syndrome" is if it affects gifted/talented children in particular. Alternatively if it affects isolated/solitary children, which might as well be a correlated factor in describing them. If the point is that the syndrome arises from the subconscious running out of control, I'd say the greater issue is that the destructive/dangerous consequences of it reflect the subject's underlying resentment at society.

That is why, when they say "there is no treatment", I kind of think both "well duh" and "that's not quite accurate". If the problem is the subconscious running out of control, then the problem might be that the conscious portion of the subject has spent so long repressing destructive feelings and interacting in a safe/acceptable/positive way with society, that it has become dissociated from their subconscious which is fundamentally dissatisfied with reality. The cure would thus be correcting their dysfunctional reality. However, of course something like that is not particularly realistic or concretely possible.

The reason I like Shun is because he was brilliant therefore different from others therefore repressed himself/presented a careful, crafted facade to others. As a result of that facade, he inevitably became a karma demon. Shun had no choice but to reign in his true impulses to show a socially approvable/accepted personality in order to fit in with society, but his destructive end and death as a monster represented the outpouring of his true (subconscious) feelings.

I find it appropriate that the boy who was "too brilliant" for their imperfect reality both died as a consequence of his own attempts to fit into it, and took a chunk out of it while he was at it. Of course the world is imperfect, but also of course sometimes it's good to be reminded of it. This episode was cathartic almost in the way of a classical tragedy.