Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2007-04-17, 01:06   Link #78
Imaru

I can testify to the fact that the sirens were sounded on Tech campus. Both my roommate and I heard them yesterday morning when we stepped outside (we live within walking distance of Va. Tech) to walk our dog. There was also a press conference aired on the radio stations here (I'm not sure if it was aired on television or other networks) with the President of V. tech. He stated that the sirens went off not long after the first shooting incident and the emails soon followed. I know that more could've been done to prevent a lot of what happened, but I also think that it was near impossible to stop 25,000+ students from pouring into the campus. Va. Tech is an incredibly large campus and takes up a decent 75% of Blacksburg (the town isn't that big)-I believe that the President of the campus did what he could within his power to control the situation. As for the police...well...ahem.
K92.3 (local popular radio station) had an on-air interview with a victim who was in Norris during the shooting. He stated that the gunman looked as though he were heavily armed and well prepared for what he was doing. What I found intriguing (heroic even) about his story is that he claimed he and two of his classmates stood against him. They formed a human chain to block their doorway from his entering after he had already made a round through their classroom and killed their prof. and other students. When he fought back they resisted until one of them got shot in the leg and narrowly missed being shot again (the door frame was shot instead). Where were the police? They were outside "securing the perimeter" pointing their guns at the building and patiently waiting for him to come out with his hands in the air. Come on. I find it infuriating that the students had to take their lives into their own hands when there were armed policemen (sent there to save them) standing around outside waiting for something drastic to happen. And where the heck was the SWAT team? These students were scared out of their minds and jumping out of second story windows trying to save themselves while they stood around twidling their thumbs. I don't get it.
What's worse is that the gunman took his own life after the massacre. If they had interviened asap they could've taken him alive and sent him into a living hell within the court systems. As for whether or not he was a student-no official report has concluded that. Though, in order to have access to the dorms you need a key card. Either he could've slipped in behind someone or he had one himself (or maybe it wasn't even him-as the two incidents haven't been connected yet). And to comment on what Princes_of_Hell stated: I hadn't thought about the bomb threats in that way. It is odd that they all happened in this succession (there were two this past week).
For those interested-I'm pretty sure there will be a live broadcast of some sort today at Tech during the Memorial ceremony (being held at 2 pm EST). I heard something about the Today Show from a co-worker-but that could've been a rumor. The victims of yesterdays tragedy are in my prayers and I hope that this is the last of such crimes (though something tells me it won't be).