Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Detective Conan
View Single Post
Old 2004-04-19, 08:10   Link #26
Suikun

Detective Conan news! Grr! I thought FUNimation was past this!

From AnimeOnDVD.com
Quote:
FUNimation has announced the release date for its first Detective Conan (which it is releasing as Case Closed in the U.S.) SKUs -- August 24th. Three SKUs will be released on that date. Volume One will include episodes #1-#4, and Volume Two will include episodes #53-#55, both at $19.98. The Starter Set will include both volumes and a collector's box.
Well, I don't know about you guys, but after seeing Yu Yu Hakusho, Fruits Basket, Blue Gender, Kiddy Grade, and Dragon Ball all released uncut, subtitled, and completely in proper order, I thought for sure that FUNimation had become a respectable anime distributor.

I thought for sure that Dragon Ball GT was the very last time we'd see them screw over anime fans by giving us episodes out of order and totally localizing the English dub, and even then it wasn't that bad - sure, they skipped the first 15 episodes, but nobody liked them anyway, and FUNimation vowed to release them uncut and subtitled at some point soon.

But now, it seems with Detective Conan they are completely falling back to their Dragon Ball Z days. First they rename all the characters for the English dub for "legal" reasons, which I now officially see as pure and utter bullsh*t, and now they're releasing the episodes completely out of order. I wouldn't be surprised if come June when DC is supposed to start airing on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim we find out that the music's been completely changed, in typical DBZ fashion.

Man, this just pisses me off.

Even if FUNimation is releasing these DVDs uncut and subtitled, they're not getting my money - not if they're going to play like this.

If they really felt they needed to do this to Detective Conan for the English dub, then the least they could have done was split off the DVDs "Cardcaptor Sakura" style and release all the Japanese episodes in order on their own sets, and do the English dub seperately.

Last edited by Suikun; 2004-04-19 at 08:21.
Suikun is offline   Reply With Quote