Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (movie & TV)
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-10, 13:50   Link #921
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It is a standard trope I guess for that to happen.

And this is Yamato. And while it wasn't so much the first series, later on it became a question of "who is going to live" rather than "who will die". Though the original reported the ship had around 40% of the crew die on that trip to Iscandar...it (generally) didn't effect the main cast. (though in 1975 the ship's crew was less than 150 people. In 2012, the ship's compliment is 999.)

But this is a different (though similar) show. And the cast is a lot larger now than before. In the original you had 12 ship based characters that were there and named most of the time (Okita, Kodai, Shima, Mori, Sanada, Tokugawa, Dr. Sado, Aihara, Oota, Nanbu, Kato, and Analyser). Now the crew has 23 characters. Of these I know of two that will die if they keep the original story about Iscandar intact (though one might be "mostly dead"). And if they keep the entire series through Final Yamato intact I know of only nine survivors from the crew list (and there are variations on that that could easily change who lives and who dies, as one version only has four on this list as survivors).

Of course seven of the 23 named crew of entirely new. I have no knowledge of their fate from before. (Boatswain Enomoto, Science Officer Niimi, Head Nurse Mokoto, Operations Warrent Officer Yuria, Flight Leader Sinohara, Security Chief Itou, and Security Warrent Officer Hosina).

My guess is all seven of these will die on this trip. But some have interesting potentials for later in the series...so I can't be sure they will die.

The other four out of the 23 (Yamamoto, Yabu, Yamazaki, and Hirata) were either added later in the original series run, or were reoccurring characters rather than main cast.