View Single Post
Old 2013-05-20, 02:29   Link #220
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadallin View Post
Eh, that's significantly an informed ability, we're told she does, we never really see it, and I'd say the way she treats her famiy would realistically spill over into at least her personal relationships. Note that we do actually see that with how she treats the circle, and even with Ayase.

I'd say its a pretty contrived aspect of her character that we're supposed to accept the extreme dissonance there.
Keep in mind the whole story is, essentially, told from Kyousuke's perspective, so you're getting a rather one-sided view. You're not getting a truly global perspective, nor is he an unbiased narrator. But I don't really have a problem accepting this sort of "contrivance", because I've known a lot of people who also put on a very thick mask in public (to make themselves look good), but actually have a quite difference face in private. I think the "dissonance" between "the Kirino the world sees" and "the Kirino Kyousuke sees" (and to a certain extent, some of her close friends/family) is one of the defining aspects of her character. And Kirino has argued from the get-go that these are all parts of who she is. I also think that it's something that many in the audience are expected to understand somewhat instinctively, given that enjoying anime (and related hobbies) is something that most tend to keep secret in their "public" lives.

(And that aside, I also think that, even in real life, siblings tend to be exposed to each others' ugly sides as they grow up. They both clearly still have growing up to do. We shouldn't necessarily judge them as if they were fully-formed adults.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadallin View Post
Its pretty dysfunctional, and a big source of the personal dislike I have for tsundere characters in general. They'd be utterly ghastly to date or even be friends with.
I've tried to explain the appeal of tsundere characters before, and mostly it comes down to understanding their one fundamental trait: their inability to be honest about their true feelings. Pretty much everything the tsundere character does is just bluster to mask how they really feel. And, as a third-party observer, you are always given signs about what the tsundere character is really thinking in spite of the shown actions.

So I don't think you should see them as if they were a realistic person behaving in a certain way to you personally (as if you were the protagonist). The whole thing works because it's fiction and you're given a glimpse at both sides of the coin. Ultimately, the "reward" is at the end of the process when the breakthrough happens and the character is finally able to be honest (or you see those glimpses shine through). If you're constantly dwelling on their bad attitude, without focusing on what they truly mean deep down, I'd say you're missing the core of what a tsundere character is about.

(This isn't to say that there aren't people who are somewhat "tsundere" in real life -- there are. But even that is a little bit different than the character archetype/trope in anime and the like.)