View Single Post
Old 2011-09-26, 07:40   Link #1159
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Not necesarely, you just care about it in a different way. (as you said yourself)
Oh, I didn't say I didn't care completely... if I did, I wouldn't be reading Vivid. I just said a lack of plot makes it hard to care. I recently watched Dog Days, and while mildly interesting, there wasn't much of a plot there, either. No real danger. And the result was that it felt really boring.

The latest Vivid chapter is a real good example of boring, too, because we get page after page of people going "I'm going to do my best!" and "Do you're best!" and "We're all going to have a fun time!"

It's downtime between action, and without a plot, it comes across much more like dragging things out. Whereas downtime in Force is still interesting because plot details are still being revealed during it. Since Vivid has no real plot, nothing much is there to keep you interested between fights. As I said, there is nothing at stake, at least nothing that the reader really cares about.

But I do care about the world details, and seeing how the characters have grown and changed. But it's in more in a way that I would read a Battletech technical readout, or a Star Trek Technical manual, or a D&D comprehensive guide. Interesting details, but not exactly a story.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote