Thread: Licensed Love Hina
View Single Post
Old 2004-06-29, 02:50   Link #68
lensman

Send a message via Yahoo to lensman
Love Hina is one of the greatest Manga ever created... period...

What is interesting to know is that Akamatsu originally intended Love Hina to be just filler for Shonen magazine. But suddenly (around volume 4, or so) it got a LOT better and the result was a story that was beautiful as was captivating.

I love the changes the characters go through, especially Motoko and Shinobu. And, by the way, have you noticed that the first thing Shinobu does once she matures (in volume 14, before we see her in adult form) is to send Keitaro airborn, by hitting him?

Some characters, like Mutsumi, Kaolla, and Kitsune were static but they played a great part in the story, and there were hints that there was much more to them than meets the eye. Kaolla despite her happy-so-lucky attitude is essentially a very lonely person, and Kitsune despite her attitude is a really caring person. In fact one of the static characters, Mutsumi, is my favourite because she is sweet, innocent, naive and very beautiful.

Spoiler:

For me, even Kanako is an interesting and important character.

Spoiler:

Even one of the most villified aspects of the Manga (just check out any Love Hina Fanfic section), the Naru/Keitaro relationship worked well for me.

Spoiler:

Naru's character is interesting because she is one of those people that get in the way of their own happiness.

Spoiler:

She is incredibly worried about her image.

Spoiler:

Despite that she is a likeable character. She cares about Keitaro a lot and is actually sweet, despite her mood swings and violent behaviour. There are points in the Manga where she offers support to him and helps him out.

Spoiler:

Most of her flaws stem from the fact that she is a good but insecure person. She is insecure about her sexuality

Spoiler:

she is insecure about boys, she is insecure about her future, she is insecure about herself she is even insecure about her friends. It is through her relationship with Keitaro that she gets over those insecurities and actually finds some kind of balance in her life.Like most of the characters in the manga Naru develops as well and ends up being quite a mature person (well... almost).

The anime was not bad, but it lacked the character development the Manga had. The other girl's crushes on Keitaro were downplayed, and in the end of the anime, they were essentially where they had started. The anime also misses one of the most important points of the manga, Keitaro wondering where he is headed in life, and what he is supposed to do (just before he decides to go study in the states. However, I did like the fact that Kitsune's character was more developed in the anime than in the manga. And of course, I am thankfull because the anime introduced me to the manga.

Whew! Sorry about the verbal diarrhea... But the Love Hina manga is one of my favourite topics... Right after GTO...