View Single Post
Old 2013-03-05, 17:11   Link #10754
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
It could have been done better. I don't expect her to lose, I expect her to win in a more "reasonable" way. And you can stop being so defensive I was half jocking when I said "realease plot armor" and never said anything like "omg dropping this series" (or any comment on the series as a whole). I have the right to be critical of things even if they conform to some magical plot math.

We all might as well not have an opinion if it always has to be on only the positive* side of the scale.
Opinions are fine. You don't have to like things. It is only when one tries to pass off an opinionated dislike as valid criticism where it is not warranted, that we run into problems. One can dislike a hero winning over the villain. It is not okay when one claims a hero winning over the villain is stupid in and of itself. I, myself, am highly negatively opinionated on the FT movie, so it is not like I am cutting FT any slack. See my title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Then it might be that people have seen too much of that stuff and are just tired of it. Keep in mind I'm talking about this particular incident. Some of the fanbase does get bit too defensive on any criticism, which ain't healthy. Just as constant week-in week-out complaining ain't healthy - though I don't see it much on FT threads.
I have tried to explain before that FT is a shonen manga, and thus retains many of its trappings. I'd actually agree with you that many of the trappings are bad, but this manga, like practically every other shonen manga, is aimed at a much younger audience that eats this stuff up like candy. The genre is shifting, as you can see in FT that incorporates many things like strong female fighters, that a lot of previous shonen series lacked. Just go back and watch old GI JOE or Transformers cartoons, and then watch more modern cartoons, and you'll see things have changed for the better.

As for criticism, see my title. Criticism is good... but only if it is valid. As I said above, I am critical of the FT movie (not so much of the plot itself, but of the execution in several areas), so don't think I simply give FT a pass on everything.

You wanted people to understand why they disliked Erza activating her second origin like that... we do understand. We just didn't find it to be a major issue. At best, it is minor. So now try to understand where we are coming from: There was nothing technically wrong or bad about what happened. We were given sufficient foreshadowing that Erza was different than the others, where second origin was concerned. Erza is more of a "smart" fighter than the others, so it is understandable that she would deliberately hold back, using only enough power to do what she needs to do. Especially when she knows she's dealing with a crafty individual like Menerva.

Also, this also addresses fan complaints over Kagura being able to match Erza. So we silenced criticism on one angle, only to have fans complain the other way: Mashima can't win. But that's understandable because you can't please everyone all of the time.

So I can understand an opinion disliking the way something happened. But disliking it for following valid storytelling rules is not the right way to go about it. Just say you didn't like it, and leave it at that. I didn't like how short the Laxus/Jura fight was, and wished it had been a bit longer, but I suppose they'll add to it in the anime. I get the sense they are pushing Mashima to get to the end of the arc so they can animate it.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote