View Single Post
Old 2009-06-14, 21:35   Link #79
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Of course, he totally missed that Kamui4356 and I are on the same page and fabricated an imaginary position to put me in. :P

I advocate:
1) preventative care;
2) a single payer non-profit system to eliminate the expansive amount of money that simply leaves the system via the amazing profits insurance industry racks up. It also eliminates the vast amount of resources squandered dealing with hundreds of different plans. The insurance companies can still have a seat at the table by bidding on execution of the processing (though at controlled profit level just like other contractors to the government). Everyone would be part of the system - those who meet low-income requirements would be subsidized. I'd pay for that by taking the cap off of medi-taxes (currently only the first $100K of income is taxed).
3) tort reform; so that insurance industries can no longer charge care providers up the ass for liability and malpractice insurance. That would be coupled with a process to get lousy caregivers out of the system and provide victims equitable redress.
4) I'd also invest in resources -- to increase the number of care providers with educational assistance.

Strangely, the non-profit HMO I belong to basically fits the bill nicely --- the only reason it costs as much as it does is because the user pool isn't big enough. One of the other benefits to single-payer universal healthcare -- it spreads the cost load over a huge population. The whole notion of "getting your healthcare through your employee" is just a busted way of slicing up the population so insurance can charge more (less bargaining power).