View Single Post
Old 2010-05-05, 02:54   Link #69
DeDe
Ino-Shika-Cho

This was probably the best movie since the 1st one going back 6 years ago. And easily the best Shippuden movie by far. The last movie relied on a Sasuke cameo and was utter garbage outside of the scenes with the rookies. The first one had the "Naruto dies" gimmick and nothing else. Spoiler: he doesn't.

But this movie at least tried to do something plot-wise and expand on canon. Not the greatest plot, but interesting. Kakashi still feels guilt about Obito dying to save him. So when the chance comes to sacrifice himself to protect the lives of everyone, he takes it. And that's basically the movie. The villain and his goons were more of a MacGuffin. The central conflict came more from the philosophy of Naruto vs the logic of Kakashi, Gaara, and Shikamaru. Of course we know who wins and everyone inherited the Will of Fire. So even though I got sick of Naruto's idealism half way through the movie, it was still good.

Pros:
No stupid filler character for Naruto to save.
Tons of Konoha 11 fanservice. The rookies simply make Naruto better. Too bad Kishi forgot this.
Young Team Minato scenes with Kakashi and Obito
Shikamaru. He had one of the biggest roles in the movie as Naruto's pursuer and leader of the Konoha 11. There is a reason he is one of the best developed characters in Shippuden.
The return of Ghost Asuma.
Teamwork. None of the rookies fought solo. All were combination attacks. Hinata/Neji! They even dusted off the Ino-Shika-Cho formation.
Tenten doing something awesome. You'll never see that in the manga.
Gaara. More his dialogue than anything. What's funny....
Spoiler for manga:

Cons:
The Gaara vs Naruto fight wasn't that great. But the fight wasn't really the point.
The villains were cookie cutter, but who is going to notice?
I still can't believe Suna would be that quick to go after Konoha. Temari didn't even want to attack them the first time. I could never buy her attacking Konoha. So boo on them for having her there. And also boo on them for giving Romi Park one freaking line.