View Single Post
Old 2012-06-26, 09:13   Link #29337
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Assuming Yasu really is the baby from the cliff, remember there's another person that Genji needs to hide Yasu's identity from.
That, and the whole affair is just good common sense. If Yasu really is a secret fifth child, he/she is largely defenseless against her older and better-entrenched siblings. If said child really was special to Kinzo, and Genji is trying to do what Kinzo would have wanted if Kinzo were in appropriate position to do it himself (i.e. not crazy, assuming he is), then protecting the child's identity is just a good idea in general until he or she is old enough to stand on even footing with the others in any sort of inheritance matter.

You wouldn't want to announce "By the way, we saved your secret brother/sister's life, and incidentally he/she owns Kinzo's gold" back in the late 60s. Because the first question on the siblings' minds would be "Wait, what brother/sister?" followed immediately by "Wait, what gold?" I can't imagine Yasu/Lion would've had a very good life without some protection of that sort.

We actually see that in ep7, where Lion's been passed off as Krauss and Natsuhi's first child. Krauss goes along with it because he gets all the perks from it: His family becomes the main branch as far as the law and society knows (which is prestigious), his firstborn becomes the head of the family (again, prestigious), and he gets to manage the finances of the group until Lion is of age (which means he has control of the finances and thus control over the family). It's a pretty damn good deal for Krauss in that situation, so it's incentive to go along with the Lion thing even if he knows it's not really his child. Nobody else has to know that, so why not go with it? As far as the rest of the world sees it, he's raised a brilliant child who is competent and likeable; he has every incentive to protect that image to make himself look good and he and Natsuhi look like perfect parents.

Now imagine Lion's existence without that safety net. It would not be entirely pleasant for him/her, as all the parents would be trying to screw him/her over financially and there'd be little to be done about it.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote