View Single Post
Old 2008-02-18, 16:57   Link #20045
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post

That's not what your images say. Hell, that last image of the Olympian armor even had the wires outside the armored plating.

As for them not being hollow... a power armor is an exoskeleton that is supposed to have a human inside, of course it's hollow!
1: Those images are prelims. Once I do a function sketch of the design, clean it up, shrink those shoulder pads a little, it'll be all nice and solid. Remember, that's just the concept image.

2: As for hollow, you still miss the point. The armor plating surrounds the human. But the framework is most certainly more like sidelong bones. Look at the SARCOS exoskeleton again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hkCcoenLW4
You build the 'master frame' like a bone structure. This gets rid of that weakness problem you're talking about. You're not wearing hollow tubes. You're standing in a combat frame with a body pressure suit and overlapping, body covering plating matierals.

Quote:
Concidering even Intelligent Devices have an autorepair (Raising Heart repaired itself in S1 after all), your armors not having them would make them a laughing stock, really. I'd say they need an AI to operate and coördinate the probes, though (in other words, they'd have to have a device-like conciousness).

Then I guess I better have it in place then, since it's common tech.