View Single Post
Old 2011-04-04, 21:56   Link #315
Taufiq91

As a man who used to worked at an Asian restaurant that still uses Asian work ethics, here's my opinion on this issue:

The grandmother was being harsh but then again, it's kinda hard to deal with a girl who's mother is disowned by her grandmother, and is also her boss. I can understand that.

The mother did a horrible thing by sending her own daughter to work at an inn which is owned by her grandmother who disowns her own daughter. What kind of mom would do that? "My mom hates me, so i'm gonna send my daughter to work with my mom, eventhough she disowns me"

Another problem with the grandma is that she believes that "customer always comes first" or "the customer is always right". Now, this is the reason why i hate working in most Asian businesses. I used to work at several European companies and they have this policy of "If you treat us right, we'll treat you right" which benefits employees and customers alot. If you're gonna abuse your employees more just for the sake of the customer, then you're create a worse employees who can't even smile at a customer because of the pain she gets from the slappings.

And besides, the customers at the inn were actually cool with Ohana's error, so why should you punish her and Minko more? I know it's Japan, but again a few times of Gomenasais and a "Oh, it's cool" response by the customers does not equal three times of slaps.