View Single Post
Old 2011-02-10, 17:14   Link #72
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Evil or not, if his actions put him on direct conflict with the protagonists (and especially, Madoka) then he becomes an antagonist. I don't think we're there just yet, but we're getting close to such outcome, I feel.

A story doesn't necessarily need a villain, but it needs an antagonist, and right now all my money is on Kyubey.
True, but an antagonist doesn't necessarily have to be evil. If you were reading a story where there was a virus outbreak, the virus would be the antagonist, but it wouldn't be evil. It just is.

I'll go one further, though. If it is revealed the witches didn't have a choice as to what they became, perhaps being raised by Kyube to be like cows, that would begin to tip my viewpoint to the "he's evil" side. Or perhaps the witches can be shown to have sentience and are merely feeding as well.

On another note, I've never really thought of Homura as evil, either, but as a bit antagonistic (anything that works against the protagonist is an antagonist). Is she evil? I guess I need to watch the subbed episode to have things clarified, but, did Homura know about Kyube's feeding on seeds? If there were things she knew, and didn't bother to share, then she's similar to Kyube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
He never says he eats them or that he needs them to live. He puts them in his back, somewhere they are "safe" from being reborn.
Hmm, interesting. Well, I should avoid drawing anymore conclusions until I've watched the episode, but if he's not eating them to survive, but only making sure they won't turn into another witch, then I can disregard my earlier points. But it actually makes him seem more good than evil, if he is deliberately taking steps like that to protect humanity.

And Mentar, beloved Mentar, with the hyperbole... just an fyi: Kyube hasn't taken any lives against their will. But trying to compare what you hate to terrorists... yeah... why not just call Kyube a Nazi and get it over with?

When we have people in this series blowing each other up, then we can revisit your terrorist ideas, kay?
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote