View Single Post
Old 2010-09-04, 12:29   Link #847
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Despite not being able to speak or read Japanese (but with some very limited comprehension regards soldier talk), I played this game and managed to figure out how to go about the business of defending your school earlier this year.

That's how good this game is.

The only other games that I've played despite being in Japanese have been Macross Ace Frontier, Macross Ultimate Frontier, and the Gundam Battle/Gundam Assault games, which are very much light on text and have a lot of details in english - in those action games everything important is in english text and there's no story and nothing fancy, so you can get by. (Well, there's also Warship Gunner 2 Portable, but that one hardly counts since the layout is identical to the PS2 version, which I can see in my sleep.) In VC2 you have to figure out what's going on and what do all the commands and such mean... it's more challenging compared to a normal action game.

So I will be getting it next week - and surprisingly enough for being Malaysian, I'm actually buying the UMD. Buying the UMD in the piracy capital of Southeast Asia. Where software piracy is a way of life.

...I'd almost get a new PSP just for this game.

Frankly though, if at this point you don't have a PSP, this game isn't the killer app to get a PSP for*; SEGA's plan with VC2 is to attempt to recoup some of the losses on VC1 by using a cheaper platform with lower costs and a higher userbase to try and sell to a wider audience and bring in more volume. Since I work in sales I can understand their POV and where they're going - there are more PSPs out in the wild than PS3s.

Having said that, while it was fun enough in Japanese, I'm quite looking forward to seeing things in English and to be able to read and analyse this world - a lot of the fun of games for me is the worldbuilding, which is why I've quite liked Halo, Metal Gear Solid, Ace Combat, Nanoha...

*Discussions of a PSP killer app lead to the Tvtropes page "Your Mileage May Vary." Suffice to say that unlike the PS2/MGS2, the Xbox/Halo, or 360/Halo 3, there has been no unanimous killer app for the PSP.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote