View Single Post
Old 2015-10-21, 21:36   Link #192
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
1) In episode 3, the Rescue Allelujah operation, the 00 did very little of note--it killed two Tieren at most before flying into a building, where it stayed for almost the entire remainder of the show. After Setsuna got back into it, he only fired a few blasts to scatter some enemies, and didn't hit any of them. Then in the next episodes, it killed the Trilobyte, then got thrown about by Graham's Ahead, and was interrupted before it could do anything to change the course of the battle. Then it doesn't get used in battle until episode 6, where it fares poorly against that same Ahead, and is forced to use Trans-Am to get the upper hand, and then even that fails. Its next sortie sees it thrashed, but given that it's Saachez he's fighting against then, I'll give it a pass.

Really, up until it got the 0-Raiser upgrade, the 00 Gundam did nothing really spectacular except for its debut, where it, I repeat, vaporized half of an Ahead in a single blast. A feat never repeated with the base weaponry ever again.

2) Normally I'd agree, but due to the second season format, season 2 is written and depicted in a way that follows beginning-of-show Gundam formula, as generally speaking when the protagonist gets the upgraded Gundam he still has the skills to back up and generally requires an enemy ace with an equally powerful machine to keep the tension up. Setsuna's starting performance in the second season is instead a little lackluster, much like early Gundam protagonist performances (when they're still rookies). So mid-series upgrade or not, I feel the 00 Gundam counts.

3) I was just giving an example. Overall you're correct, as the full shows that preceded IBO came in two flavors: the protagonist Gundam either continued to perform amazing feats (Build Strike and Build Burning Gundams), or didn't perform that spectacularly in their starting battle (Gundam AGE-1 Normal, where the impressiveness was that he managed to kill an until-then unkillable opponent at all). Before that, it was the 00, which fit Kari's claim, and the Exia, which was more along the lines of the Build Strike's performance.