View Single Post
Old 2009-05-31, 18:55   Link #2848
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen_Angel View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but when it comes to names like Felli/Feri & Lind/Rind, was it there intention to have it come out as Lind/Felli but were unable to cause of the not having L in the Japanese language so they use R as the next closest thing? and brought it as close as they could, Becasue surly if they had wanted them to sound and be R's they could have like Rukia or Renji and then when they were done in English they were able to bring them the rest of the way?
The first part of your conclusion is correct, but I'm not quite too sure what you're trying to get at in your comparison with the two Bleach characters. If you see names that are translated from Japanese into English with 'l's in them, then there are usually a few reasons for this:

1.) The translators (into English) discovered that the original Japanese name was based off a foreign word that is pronounced with any sort of alveolar approximate that could be confused in Japanese, so they write it the way it would be in English.

2.) An official Japanese website of a original character from a series could have the character's name written in the foreign language (for example, I believe I saw Horo from Spice and Wolf spelled as Holo on the official Spice and Wolf website, but, of course, the Japanese was pronounced "Horo").

3.) Sometimes if you're watching fansubs, the subbers will try and make sense of a name transliterated into Japanese from other languages and may choose to spell it in a certain way, but this isn't necessarily indicative of the way it's meant to be spelled. At times, however, the name may simply be made up, except written in katakana, so it may simply be an aesthetic choice on the part of the translation.

As for your comparison of Rukia and Renji, Rukia is written in katakana, so I'm not exactly sure where the decision to use the 'r' came from (either from subs, which possibly carried into the official dub, or other reasons unbeknownst to me), but Renji is written in kanji, so most of the time it's written with an 'r'.

Hope that helps.
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote