View Single Post
Old 2011-12-29, 06:08   Link #651
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
For example, I have not seen a request for a thread discussing the Organization. A topic like this could have many different opinions on how it is run, who is in it, how it creates warriors, or the greater conflict with the DoD.
You haven't looked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yononaka on 2007-06-14 View Post
How about a thread to talk about the ends and means/rights and wrongs/etc of the Organization all in one place? Seems like after the latest arc there's more focus on them than before, and the topic is probably at least as broad as that of Claymore biology.
It was denied on spoiler grounds (perhaps reasonably for the time the anime was on) and the long-orphaned World of Claymore thread created instead.

Note that I'm not mentioning this to harp, simply to point out the fact. It was, after all, the only thread request I've ever made on AS, so I remember it well.

As for getting (most) non-chapter discussions out of chapter threads, I'm 100% for it. People don't seem too interested in it though, I guess because they've become accustomed to one-stop-shopping in whatever thread is current. At the same time, there hasn't been much visible moderator interest in actively making new threads, and rightly or wrongly, quite a few people seem to feel the mods have no real interest in managing the Claymore section beyond moderating reported posts.

To be honest, I don't fully understand why the mods don't just allow free thread creation in sub-forums such as this. In what way is it better to condone extensive off-topic discussions in unrelated threads than to let people make new threads as needed? You may call that "clutter", but that way we'd at least have thread titles somewhat indicative of what's being discussed in them, instead of useful topics being unaccessible to lay posters who don't wish to chew through loads of completely unrelated posts. It seems like a needless extra burden the mods have taken upon themselves to always go through the song and dance of request->consideration. It doesn't work all that well when perceived mod disinterest and all-too-frequent denials (the reasons for which may be obvious to the mods, but not always to the members) discourage people from requesting.

Just to be clear, I say all this as someone who overall finds AS to be one of the best moderated boards I've been at. There's just something a little off in this section to me. Granted, it is somewhat of an oddity around here - an ongoing but montly manga with no concurrent anime, with ample active posters (but, as you said, no "dedicated" mods) and a lot of "downtime" for them to fill.