View Single Post
Old 2007-11-29, 01:41   Link #39
eggplant
Eggplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Let me ask a stupid question about the sales figures. What precisely does the asterisk indicate? For instance, how should we read these results for Initial D?

2001/08/29 30,671 Third Stage SPECIAL BOX (Motion picture)
2002/01/01 *6,706 DVD-BOX 2 (Thirteen episodes)
2002/05/15 20,398 BATTLE STAGE

I read this as meaning DVD-BOX 2 had sales in the five-digits, but we don't know what the first digit was. Is that correct, or is the asterisk just a place-holder and it really sold just 6,706 copies? That was my first impression, but I was never really sure if that was correct interpretation.
Sorry for the belated reply.
I guess my explanation for the legend on reply #2 was ambiguous, so allow me to answer.

As Xellos-_^ mentioned, the asteriks are a place holder, for the purpose of properly aligning and showing the digits.

In the case quoted above, *6,706 refers to six thousand seven hundred and six.

Quote:
Here are few other examples of things I've pondered. For Eureka 7 we have:

2006/01/27 *5,652 Vol. 7 Standard Edition
2006/01/27 **,*** Vol. 7 UMD Limited Edition
2006/02/24 *5,557 Vol. 8 Standard Edition

Does the entry **,*** mean it did five-digit sales, but could be any number from 10,000 to 99,999? Or does it mean we don't know how many were sold? If the latter, how is that different from "**NA*"? The figures for Hajime no Ippo include this sequence:

2002/03/21 **N/A* Vol. 13
2002/04/24 **,*** Vol. 14
2002/05/22 **,*** Vol. 15
2002/06/21 **,*** Vol. 16
2002/07/24 **,*** Vol. 17
2002/08/21 **,*** Vol. 18
2002/09/25 *1,163 Vol. 19

So the figures for Vol. 13 are "not available," but the figures for Vol. 14 are what exactly? "Not available, but not zero?" I would think the same could be said for Vol. 13.
"N/A" is, as you mentioned, "not available", which differs from the "**,***" notation.
The DVD sales listed on page 1 is based on Oricon's weekly tabulation of the TOP 300 DVD sales figures, wherein numbers for the top 100 titles are listed on their "Original Confidence" magazine, a weekly industrial publication with the cover price of 4,900 yen per issue.

The only people who can obtain these numbers are subscribers of this magazine, or people who subsequently visit the National Diet Library, where this publication is categorized. The tracking process of DVD sales for older titles have picked up with the help of many enthusiastic anime fans, especially on 2ch. However, there are specific issues where the sales figures are either still unkwnown or not listed, hence the "N/A" notation.

On the other hand, since these figures are based on overall top 100 sales (not just anime related titles) , there are cases in which a certain volume for an anime title (or all volumes for a certain anime) did not crack the TOP 100. These cases are denoted with the "**,***" mark, citing that it is a figure below that of #100, in comparison with a title which did manage to place itself in the charts, as indicated with a number. I really should add a "(under *1,000)" mark for example, to state that it sold less than the #100 ranking title for that corresponding week, but I don't have those figures on hand.

Oricon does tabulate weekly sales for #101-300, but the only time we get to see some of those numbers is when they announce their top 30 monthly DVD sales and top 500 annual sales, where the aggregate sales for titles that are ranked in this section, are added on.

Thus, sales figures for titles (or volumes) between #101-300 that have never cracked the top 100 are impossible to track down. You may have noticed that some noteworthy titles (even North America licensed ones) fail to earn a spot on this list due to poor sales.

I hope this answers your question, and I appreciate your compliments. Since I'm already out of space on the first page, sales figures for the 2008 season will be listed on the most recent post when the time arrives.

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote