View Single Post
Old 2012-09-01, 15:53   Link #40
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
As someone who has played many MMOs, I disagree. As long as it's possible to somehow enchant or upgrade the Dark Repulser, it made sense for him to ask for a weapon that's the same or as good as his current weapon. We don't know whether the Elucidator was upgraded or not, or maybe it cannot even be upgraded due to how there's no + next to its name, unlike the +0 beside the Dark Repulser's name. So if the Dark Repulser has stats that are similar to those of Kirito's main weapon while it's in its un-upgraded state (it gives more STR than the Elucidator, weighs less than it, but the attack range seems to be lower), and if it's possible to upgrade it, then it is, in fact, better than his current sword.
As someone who plays MMO as well, it just doesn't make sense to me to just make a weapon but not using it on the get go to benefit its bonus whatsoever. Surely Dark Repulser is actually better than Elucidator on the long run, but he just didn't push forward and upgrade it right away, despite the hardship he and liz went through to forge that weapon.
To me, in MMORPG perspective, making rare items without an immediate need or without any selling perspective in mind just doesn't make sense, as if you stash it away, you could potentially kept the original material for another better weapon or armor then. (save exceptions such like announced patch with new weapon requiring an old one, so crafting it would prevent you to spend an awful amount upon patch release, as people would rush on the materials like headless chickens).

To me, for someone like Kirito who aims for the most pragmatic and efficient way to go through the game, stashing away a "better" weapon without making it to that point didn't make much sense. And even more so in a death game, where you would rather expand every ressource you got to increase your survival, instead of keeping disposable items/money.
In fact, Dark Respulser is -not- better than Elucidator right now. "Possibly better than Elucidator" =/= "better now", since long term doesn't mean much in MMO, especially in a death game where any wrong calculation can cost you dearly. You don't want to have a better weapon ready later, you want it -right now-.
This is why his request for "similar" weapon was kinda off, aside of a "simple" back up.
Quote:
I'm not sure about that. In the end, it all comes down to style vs efficiency. And in a death game, I'd imagine the latter seems much more enticing than the former. Not to mention that we haven't seen enough players to say whether people are trying it out for style or not. Some people could've tried it against weaker monsters in the game only to find that it wasn't the trouble, as it didn't give them any sort of upper-hand.
I know that, but Asuna herself mentions that even in SAO, some people wield 1 sword for style, despite she is a vice commander of the best guild, so she wouldn't goof around that much in lower levels, as the guild seems pretty strict, to the point Asuna -needs- to ask days off at times.
So she prolly saw mid/high level players going around with 1 sword for the hell of it.