Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-05-06, 13:28   Link #7095
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
It may not have occurred to you before, but Singapore also does not in principle ban groups that are considered cults, or borderline heretical, by others. The freedom of religion, speech, assembly and association is enshrined in the Constitution.

The caveat, however, is that such freedoms cannot be used to offend public order, public health or morality. Of course, they must not be seditious either.

Which leads naturally to quite a fair bit of interpretation. But such grey areas are not unique to Singapore's Constitution. Laws exist to serve a community. It just so happens that this country's laws are tilted more towards society ("the greater good") than to individuals.
The problem with "offend public order" is a little difficult to enforce......if any of you have realised (or is still in school), the local megachurches' minions can be EXTREMELY annoying that I wonder how did I keep my facade of "no thank you" instead of launching into an argument with them. In fact, their influence have pretty much gained themselves the name of being a "cult" here.

I believe you have been old enough to know about Operation Spectrum, in which 22 people are arrested for "trying to subvert the Singapore Government and create a Marxist State". I am not surprised if the ISD decided to invite them over to a coffee session to discuss the future of the megacorp country.

Over at US, they are much more liberal, but I can't seem to understand why they would allow a racist group to run wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Yes, but what happens when "the loony" is like pretty much all the Southern parts of the United States (aka Tea Party, intelligent design etc. etc.)?

Don't talk about intelligent design lol! I became part of a really heated class discussion back then when it was on Time Magazine...though I became really evil by inducing an "argumentum ad nauseam" by enforcing an argument which became the rule of the floor : replacing the word "god" with "omnipotent entity of ambiguous existence" w.r.t to the non-christian believers in the class, which eventually shortened became "entity", and my religiously inclined classmates gave up because they had problem trying not to make the word sound like a synonym to mammary glands.

Back on topic, it seems like the symbol of freedom of what U.S is became the symbol of "doing whatever one wants with no regards or due respect to others".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Lately, it informs me that perhaps I'd like to retire elsewhere because I'm rather pessimistic about the long-term prospects of this place anymore.

But the US is a really big place. Too easy to schedule travel plans that don't include hyperbolic infestations of loony so I don't encounter them very often.
You could come over here. I am not surprised if A-Star starts fapping at your CV because you worked with NASA.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.