Old 2006-04-17, 18:19   Link #24
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtyped
no space combat needs to be close.
shells cannot travel far in zero gravity,

You do know what zero gravity means, right? No gravity? No force pulling stuff down or any other direction, hence allowing you to shoot really far without angling in any way to try to compensate?

And you know that cold vacuum is VACUUM for a reason right? No air? No air resistance or friction? All of which allow anything in space to travel farther and faster than in air?

Close? Do you have any idea how fast a space shuttle orbits the Earth? Last I recall it was 90 minutes per complete orbit, and that is HELLA faster than your car or mine. Wanna try fighting in space at those speeds? Pfft! You'll be passing by each other faster than your eye could catch. Maybe with a computer you can hit stuff, but most likely space combat will involve ships sitting or strafing at thousands of kilometers apart from each other, lobbing missiles and lasers at each other. There's a better chance at dodging incoming fire or out-ranging each other. The most common munition will likely be nuclear weapons, and fighting at point-blank range with these is stupid.

Quote:
and laser technology may not be able to carry such a large amount of heat across freezing temperatures, however large it is
One, laser is light. Perhaps in some truly extreme temperatures light can be affected, but in space, no. Light is not affected by the temperatures of space. Otherwise if light could no carry such heat across space, then how come our planet is so warm?

You only start to lose light at huge distances like light-days or light-years, and I hardly doubt, without some extreme tech, that space battles in the foreseeable future will take place at those kinds of distances.

There is so much wrong with what you just posted that..... just go brush up some physics, okay?