View Single Post
Old 2008-03-04, 17:57   Link #68
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
No. Just no.

Mecha in duneverse will not work ever. Especially when humankind has banned human-like machines, be it in body (form) or mind (AI) since the butlerian jihad. Moreover, it will clash with the most powerful creatures of Arrakis, the sandworms. Putting mechas in dune universe will be basically equivalent to throwing feces in frank Herbert's grave while collectively slapping the fans of Dune in the face. Much more than the sonic weapons featured in Lynch's Dune.

LOL, I was joking...but even if I wasn't, mecha could still work in the Dune universe, quite well in fact. I purposely limited the mecha to the "evil" characters, because I intentionally seperated the more 'natural' Fremen from the more machine based society that Duke Harkonnen (and others) ran. What better way to seperate the two extremes than the presence of cold unfeeling tools of desctruction like mecha. Additionally the planet Ix could supposedly have machines of this nature, hell they have some damn advanced machinery (such as their room that hides people within from prescience), so the possibility of mecha existing can be readily explained. (btw, the O.C. Bible stated that you can not have a machine based in design on a human mind, as far as I can recall (and it has been many years since I read the original series, so please correct me if I am wrong), there is nothing against having a machine based on a human body or that supports the human body ~ and, if abominations like gholas can exist why not machines with somewhat human shapes.)

Additionaly, the mech could look more like a Votoms or Patlabor style mecha or even better the mecha used by Ripely in Aliens. You are imagining a Gundam Seed/Destiny/Wing style mecha (which is almost completely controlled by computers) when in fact there are multiple different formats and approaches to Mecha designs. Hell there have been mechas in anime that are soley controlled by voice recognition or are connected to a persons nerveous system effectively making the machine nothing more than an extension of the human body. Infact this could elevate the role of Mentat as the brain in a machine. This could be a very interesting approach to the series.

I am a fan of the Dune series, hell I have even read the non Frank Herebert books, but you are talking about fanatacism rather than simple fan-support. The movie Dune was not bad because it tampered with Herbert's work, but rather it was bad because Lynch had no idea what he was doing with the show and he was over-controlled by his producers etc. into creating a sub-standard (for him) work.

There is nothing wrong with adding mecha to the Dune series, it is just that there is no real point for them to be added, so additional storylines would have to be created to define their existance.

Additionally, there is nothing wrong with re-imagining the series. The question that should be asked, in regards to using mecha, is if you can improve anything in your re-imagination by adding Mecha (ala Infinte Ryvius), or if it will just get in the way.

Last edited by james0246; 2008-03-04 at 18:08.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote