Thread: Licensed Kokoro Connect [anime]
View Single Post
Old 2012-09-08, 16:46   Link #1868
Sphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
To be fair to Taichi, he did say that him and Iori love one another right now. Here we have Taichi showing more foresight than usual with the "right now" part - Maybe the dude is learning to keep absolute statements down to a manageable minimum.

So Taichi did his part to be faithful to Iori, imo. It's just that Inaba pressed on anyway, and Iori really did kind of bring this situation on both herself and Taichi.

One more thing I want to write in Taichi's defense - Him saving a kitten out of a tree is interesting, precisely because it's such a cliche hero thing to do. It shows that, contrary to what we may have believed before, Taichi's "White Knighting" goes beyond just trying to win over girls. I mean, I didn't see any girls that would clearly benefit from this cat being rescued out of a tree. So while a small gesture, I think it shows that Taichi's heroic side is about more than just impressing girls, and maybe that's a good thing.
Haha, that part actually annoyed me. It was the one moment I would've been ok with Taichi being firm and decisive. The way I see it, if he really liked Iori, he didn't have to say 'right now'. Immediately after he said that I thought to myself 'that leaves so much open'. And of course, Inaba takes advantage.

Like I and Blonto touched on previously (albeit about Iori's own words), it weakens Taichi's and Iori's relationship for the sole reason of allowing Inaba in. Why say 'right now'? If Iori died, would he just move on to Inaba straight away? It cheapens the relationship.

Of course, I'm not saying relationships are this absolute one-true love thing, but once you've declared love to someone, especially the way Taichi and Iori (and Aoki) did, and then can't back it up, it makes the character look so mentally immature. As though love is a fickle thing. Again, these are teenagers, but that excuse should only go so far.

Of course, plenty of anime shows do this. So my gripe covers many other anime too, not just specifically to KC. Honey and Clover is a good counter-example.

As for the cat saving thing and Taichi wanting to be a hero...it just doesn't have an impact on me. The show seems more intent on the plot moving the characters rather than the characters moving the plot. So I see his cat saving as something to just get Inaba into a fit. Same as him saying 'right now', just so that Inaba could jump in. He sounded so convincing when initially saying he loved Iori, but then added 'right now'. And I'm still mixed on the kiss itself.

I sure hope Inaba doesn't become this goofy lovestruck teenager now though. Her personality was great before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Oh wait... I have a better idea! Taichi suggests to Inaba and Iori that they fight a WWE-style pro wrestling match over him. It'll be a Ladder match where what's hanging from the rafters isn't a championship belt, but rather a dreamy picture of Taichi attached to two tickets for the latest romance movie. I wonder what Inaba and Iori's pro wrestling tights would look like? I wonder what would be good monikers for them?
Damn, for a moment there I thought you were going to suggest it be Taichi himself hanging there. Suffocating as the girls fought, with disastrous consequences if they fought for too long. Of course, there would be mud everywhere too, yes?