View Single Post
Old 2006-01-21, 18:59   Link #41
4Tran

wingdarkness, I'm sorry if you're offended, but Gundam TV shows have always had kids in mind as their target audience. Besides, so what? Why do you mind it in the first place? If you like a kids' show, then you might as well admit it. My third-favorite anime has pre-teens as their primary audience, but that doesn't keep me from liking it any less. While Mobile Suit Gundam is the first show to escape the super-robot motive, it still does not deviate all that much from its roots.

Military strategy is something that I'm always on the lookout for, but I rarely come it across it in any medium save for books. I have the suspicion that you're referring to a list of shows that feature tactics, not strategy. But on the off-chance that I'm wrong, I'm definitely very interested in seeing your list. As far as I've seen, Crest/Banner of the Stars isn't too bad and Twelve Kingdoms shows some decent strategy, but that's about it. Of the other shows out there, Vallen Chaos Vincent already mentioned Legend of Galactic Heros, and I would imagine that Zipang! and Romance of the Three Kingdoms would also show some strategy, but I can't think of anything beyond that. The thing is, anime is just an awful medium for showing this kind of thing. I don't think any more highly about most depictions of military strategy in anime than I do about it in Hollywood.

I already answered the question in your poll, but I don't think that it's the Gundams themselves that are the problem. I think that the problem lies in the depiction of the pilots themselves being overpowered. If you want to balance things out, then just have the technology stagnate for a bit, and equip all the line units with the latest goodies. However, this is going to count for squat as long as the ace pilots can still slaughter them without missing a beat.

By the way, I find that your comments a little uncalled for. I would say that you might want to take a look at strategy by reading some history books.