View Single Post
Old 2012-02-29, 16:26   Link #102
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
To be honest, those guys can't be trusted with every word they say. Let's not forget how they cushioned the fall of every major anime distributor up to this date. I'm sure people bought DVDs based on their assurance that those companies would live on.

But yes, I want to hear what they have to say. Especially about the economics of streaming.
I've listened to a few ANN Podcasts, although I'll admit I don't follow them regularly.

In a couple of them, Zac and the ANN guys were brutally frank about just how badly the North American anime marketplace bottomed out a few years ago, which is a big part of the reason why I'm inclined to think that the North American section of the anime industry is in very hard shape.

I don't really see what Zac's motivation could be for lying about this stuff (reporting on the North American side of the anime industry/fandom is his bread and butter, it's not good for him if it loses relevancy), so I'm inclined to think he was honestly conveying how badly anime DVDs were selling in North America at the time.