View Single Post
Old 2008-03-15, 01:30   Link #1174
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
Miria has devotion aura +5 armor, endurance aura +20% attack speed, command aura +30% damage and unholy aura +25% regeneration. That's why she's the best in group.
Warcraft III stats ftw! >_<

More exactly, we see characters comment from all sides of Miria's unusual leadership ability, so the manga leaves no doubt as to what it wants us to think. As far as I can see, Claymores are more...sensitive...warriors than the usual soldiery types -- being unstable prideful solitary warriors and all that -- so handling them probably requires more leadership and care than usual.

Her performance in the Slashers Arc was not particularly impressive, though one could forgive that fact due to the Awakened's surprise attack, the misinformation, the unstable powers of the teammates, and her own revelation about the nature of the mission and the Claymores involved which must've shaken her pretty badly.

At Pieta we saw her commanding a mixed force against overwhelming odds with surprising success -- until Simba, I mean Rigaldo, does his kill-the-captains-in-one-strike thing and completely screws them up. Before that even he comments that the Claymores are astonishingly efficient in that hopeless battle; the fact that they held together as a force as long as they did was a testament to her charisma in and of itself, since many of the Claymores never had experience fighting those odds and would've broken ranks at the very realization of the battle's nature under a less skilled leader. Leadership isn't something easily defined, drawn, narrated, or felt, so I can't support this much with a lot of tactics (the manga hasn't been particularly tactical anyway), but what distinguishes Miria from many other single digit heads seems to be her lack of overt pride, her sympathy, and her understanding of a Claymore's nature, not to mention her tenacity and will to survive (we can also infer that she has a pretty strategic mind). For some reason, this allows her to bring out the most out of her subordinates.

Mind you, I'm still angry about Flora's death in that Arc. Dammit, the most beautiful and most elegant Claymore ever, gone, in one shot, despite developments that pointed her out as a potentially very interesting character to fill out the Ghosts' ranks, her only remnant in the story being Clare's Windcutter. What the hell!?

Like others said though, Miria seems to have taken a particular liking to Clare even over others of the Fab Four. Then again Priscilla did observe at Pieta that there were two "lights" much stronger than the other ones. Not one over another, but two together: Miria and Clare.

Now I'm just waiting for eyeless God-Eye to join forces with the Phantom and her Ghosts in the upcoming chapter. They probably have a lot to share with each other too, since Galatea has also been sniffing around the organization like Miria did, and as Number 3 of a time when Number 1 and 2 are mindless weapons (i.e., not counting Raphaela's unique case, she was the top "normal" Claymore of her time), she seems to know a lot.

P.S. lol @ training imagery. Sweaty action in the caves hiding from the frozen fields, eh.