View Single Post
Old 2013-02-05, 09:08   Link #2963
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

I really don't think so. For me (and some people whom I know in the first year of my university as part-time/sabbatical students), they didn't want to study engineering or want to quit the engineering field because of the lack of motivation given by most employers. I love science and engineering, but I hate :

1. How science and math is being taught in schools (what do you mean by "just memorise the formula and don't ask too much"?)
2. How people treat engineers and technicians (blue-collar workers with nowhere else to go in life)
3. How technical work is viewed as simple and monotone (have you nuts ever tried building an electrical circuit from scratch with only a list of what functions it should have?)

Finance pays less than engineering due to the current increase of supply if such graduates, but people don't want to go into engineering because of how they are being viewed.
Guess it depends on your local market. When I got my bachelor in aerospace engineering the sector crashed here and as a result there were few job openings. So I switched to economics and went from there.

At the time starting salaries were about 30% higher in financial sector. If I look at students I knew from those years, most of the engineers have plateaued early with no way to move up in to management. Without seniority rules they just seem more vulnerable to office politics and project managers (the bane of every organization imo).
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote