View Single Post
Old 2011-10-07, 03:58   Link #68
cyberbeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachs0r View Post
I didn’t break that. You probably just passed a filename that contained Unicode characters.
Heh, for some reason I've never run into that was a problem before, but that was indeed the issue. A side-effect of this being one of the few seasons that has a show with a unicode character in the english title (Fate/Zero).

Quote:
  • libass supports true font kerning and other advanced font features. VSFilter does not. It used to be disabled by default (and is still supposed to be), but that’s a “problem” with Harfbuzz.
  • That font probably doesn’t even have a Bold variant. Both libass and VSFilter use a “fake bold” form in that case; libass just doesn’t embolden it as much as VSFilter. Blame fagsubbers for always picking bad fonts. Alterntatively, blame Aegisub’s font collector for not getting font families right.
Bold actually isn't specified in the script at all. In this case it actually seems to be two incorrectly named fonts in a font family used by both UTW and Commie, Profile-Regular & Profile-Medium, and scripts which just specify 'Profile'.

The offending fonts: http://www.mediafire.com/?zpvr698cu7m87lc

Font Name: Profile-Regular
Font Family: Profile
Font Sub-Family: Regular

Font Name: Profile-Medium
Font Family: Profile
Font Sub-Family: Regular

I think you can see the problem, when only 'Profile', the font family which is shared by both fonts, is specified in the script and both are 'Regular'. The two fonts would be seen as duplicates.

[mkv] Attachment: Profile-Medium.otf, application/x-truetype-font, 36580 bytes
[mkv] Attachment: Profile-Regular.otf, application/x-truetype-font, 36388 bytes

VSFilter is using Profile-Medium and Libass is doing the opposite and using Profile-Regular. In this case, Profile-Medium was obviously the font intended to be used, but with no way of knowing that from the script alone, I would have to side with libass for using Profile-Regular since 'Bold' wasn't specified. Maybe yet another switch should be added to MPlayer2 to make it mimic VSFilter behavior with duplicate fonts which aren't actually duplicates...

All in all this is just stupidity by Commie, and even greater stupidity by UTW for copying Commie's stupidity when using this font. Only one of the two fonts needed to be muxed into the mkv, since they are not linked to each other, and both have a full set of glyphs. If I remove Profile-Regular.otf and leave only Profile-Medium.otf muxed, it works correctly in both VSFilter and Libass. Same font, same problem in both screenshots.

Quote:
Blame fagsubbers for always picking bad fonts.
QFT

Last edited by cyberbeing; 2011-10-07 at 05:33.